Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Poem

Some of you know that I write a Christmas poem each year. I usually send it out in Christmas cards, but as my family grows, I'm unable to send the cards to my friends. So for all you friends that didn't get a card, it's not because I don't love you and wish you well, it's because I can't make more cards. Please know that I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and I'll post my poem so it can be enjoyed :-)

Twas a month before Christmas and I'm here at home,
Once again composing my Holiday poem.
I hope you're healthy and you've had a good year,
May this season give you much festive cheer.

Naomi is four now, growing with great speed!
This year she's even starting to read.
She still loves dinosaurs and learning their names
She'll grow up to be a dog trainer, or so she claims.

Michael's still working and going to school.
Luckily he doesn't have to use a slide rule!
He's just had a birthday, the big 30 this year,
We celebrated with his family, all quite dear.

I'm much the same, stay at home mother.
But I'm very happy, wouldn't have it any other.
I like making crafts and keeping a scrapbook,
I love reading too, especially with my nook!

Pets we have four of, 2 fish and 2 cat,
Very sadly this year, we lost our dear rat.
Milo and Demi aren't sure of each other,
It's a good thing Naomi acts as Milo's mother.

I'll leave you now and finish this poem,
Wrap up those presents, decorate the home.
Remember that Santa will come any day.
Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy Holiday!

3 comments:

Tina said...

Here is last year's (2009) poem if anyone missed it.

‘Twas a month before Christmas, and all through the flat
All the creatures were stirring, even the rat.
The stockings aren’t hung; they’re still in our storage
I’ll soon have to find them, maybe I’ll forage.

My child is crazy, making a beeline
Demi just ran by, I guess Naomi’s been chasing the feline!
I’m still in my PJ’s; my hair hasn’t been fixed,
To be truthful my feelings on this are quite mixed.

Our family is busy, that’s to be sure!
But for now I don’t know that there’s really a cure.
Naomi’s in Preschool, she goes twice a week.
She’s so smart; soon I’m sure she’ll be learning Greek!

She’s a true 3 year old, cute and a bit domineering
Don’t try to help her, you’ll just be interfering!
She plays by herself, just as sweet as can be
But when she makes a mess, she’s certain to flee!

She’s very interested in Dinosaurs, hot ‘blabla’ too!
Give her one moment, and she’ll explain it to you.
Pa took her fishing for the very first time,
She loved everything about it, even the climb.

Michael has a new job; he does seem to like it,
But the commute is too long, even he has to admit!
He’s going back to school, over the computer,
At least for that he’s not a commuter!

I keep myself busy by helping out MOMS Club,
But sometimes I could sure use a soak in the tub.
We’re a great group of ladies, that’s to be sure
We really love babies, and our motives are pure.

I’ll leave you now, but don’t you dare bristle,
My house it too dirty, I must get the Bissell!
I leave you these parting words as I head out of phrase,
“Merry Christmas to all, and Happy Holidays!”

Tina said...

I believe this is the first year I started doing the poem 2008.

‘Twas the week before Christmas and to my surprise
I opened a desk drawer and Christmas cards met my eyes.
“I haven’t even started!” I yelled with a shout.
“I must begin writing, I must get these out!”
I got out my address book, got out my stamps,
Then Naomi yelled, “Me peed in my pants!”
I hung my head and tried to remember,
Potty training’s a process, it’s only December
She knows all her shapes and gets colors right,
She can count to fifteen, and sleeps through the night.
She’s loving and caring most of the time,
But like the girl with the curl…what was that rhyme?
Cocoa is her favorite, finer than silk,
That’s why we are always running out of milk.
It’s cold outside, the snow’s falling down,
Guess we won’t be driving the twenty minutes to town.
The tree is up, but we’ve no mistletoe for kissing,
And look at the nativity scene…baby Jesus is missing!
But that’s what life’s like with our cute little girl
Get ready for the ride, you’re going to twirl.
Is she Sleeping Beauty today, or perhaps Ariel?
Thank goodness she doesn’t yet know about Belle!
Michael and I? Our life just goes on,
Cooking and cleaning and working too long.
I hope that this poem finds you all in good cheer,
Maybe I’ll get these out earlier next year!

Kristin J said...

I had no idea you were a poet! These are fantastic. You should market some shorter poems to a greeting card company.