Thursday, September 02, 2010

A note to Mothers with girls

So what's the best gift to give your 3 1/2 year old girl for Christmas? Why an Easy Bake Oven! You remember those fond memories making those delicious cakes, all by yourself, that your family just adored, especially your Mom. Right? Right?!?

WRONG

As a Mother myself I now realize that my Mom must have dreaded when that Easy Bake Oven came out of the closet. It is messy, you have to be way more involved than you really want to be, and the cake is gross!

I have spent the last 9 months trying to hide the Oven, or at least put off the baking and decorating of the cakes (with minimal success, Naomi is persistent)! But today, Naomi won... She found the oven, we had nothing better to do, and she made the cake. I spent the whole time worrying that she was either going to spill the cake batter or frosting all over or that she would burn herself on that 40 watt heated oven. She added too much water to the frosting which created a goopy mess and of course I have no powdered sugar! And to complete the experience she naturally wants to share her creation with me. Not wanting to hurt her feelings or stifle that baking goddess that is blooming inside of her, I have to eat at least one slice of the 'cake'. *shudder* That will have to be considered my sugar intake for the rest of the day.

On the plus side, Naomi does remember to wash her hands, and she is pretty good at decorating the cakes, even with goopy icing. So at least there is no dirt added to the cake, and it does actually look like a cake, to an extent.

So, to all you Mommy's who have the 'brilliant' idea of gifting your child with an Easy Bake Oven (or the like) be warned!

1 comment:

Kristin J said...

I was thinking of getting one for the boys but I've been sufficently scared off. They help me in my kitchen every day making something. . . so that should probably be enough. Thanks for the warning.